Experiment, Discover What Works, Move on.
If you don’t like meaningless estimates, complex policies, and unreadable 1000-page documents and you want to actually get your project done, then read on.
Mockups are easy to do. However, it’s what you actually do with them that counts.
- Basic Wireframing Routine Sketching wireframes is easy, but what should you try to accomplish with them?
- Choosing the Right Mockup Tool Critical factors that determine whether a mockup or wireframing tool fits your needs.
- Provoking the Right Feedback At times, you are not getting proper feedback. Fortunately, there is a standard set of solutions to that.
- Common Mockup Pitfalls Mockups initially seem simple, but there are a few challenges that may be difficult to overcome.
- Mockups as a Spec? Can mockups be used as a stand-alone specification?
Communication is the key, whenever you interact with people (i.e. all the time).
- Presentation Anxiety: Tips Communicating loud and clear, even when panic-stricken.
- Don’t Suck at Verbal Self-Defense When disproving a preposterous accusation accomplishes nothing (at best).
- Negotiating Is Not Haggling Why negotiations don’t imply conflict; and a dozen of essential techniques you can use immediately.
Software projects can be tough, but some problems CAN be avoided. Really.
- Creating Upfront Estimates and Making Them Management-Proof A complete how-to guide for creating and defending your estimates in the real world.
- Don’t Let Your First Consulting Gig Fall Apart Horribly Challenges of serious consulting might be quite different than you imagine.
- How to Prepare a Smooth Project Acceptance For many teams, acceptance means friction. This is just plain wrong.
- Don’t Bury Important Information in Trivia No one really wants to read massive documents. Communicating well is your responsibility.
The Mockups 101 Book
“Great simple straightforward approach to using mockups.”
My own book that will help you to get early feedback from clients, and avoid (or solve) common problems encountered in a wide variety of different situations.
“A short book that distills the essence of why and when mockups should be used.”
Fast Mockup Tool for Analysts
This is my own mockup tool. Its strong points are annotations, skins, and export to Word. Free trial for Mac and Win.
About Igor Jese
Hi, I’m Igor, and I’ve been lucky in being able to see many sides of the software development industry. Probably because of that, my belief is that the root cause of most problems is the inability to communicate effectively.
Initially, I was a programmer and a database guy, then a business analyst, consultant, project manager, and lecturer. I also started a mockup tool a decade ago (MockupScreens), and my ever-new adventures in entrepreneurship continue to perplex me with.
Subscribe for My Emails
Enter your name and email, and you'll get notified when I have something for you (when I publish a new article, for example).
No spam, no sharing of your email address.